Tuesday, September 18, 2001

Jen

We spread out and everyone is frightfully more aware.

Today we had an evacuation drill to see how quick we could get out of our floor where our office is located. We only went down to the 64th floor. It made me think of how scary that must be- and how tiresome- if evacuation is necessary. We only have 65 floors to walk down. Imagine if you are higher than that.

I forgot to tell my story of how I was stuck in the elevator on Friday when I was leaving work. I have to take two elevators to get up to our office. An express elevator goes from the 3rd floor lobby to the 46th sky lobby and then another one to get to the 65th. Anyway, I’m on the express elevator going down when it stops suddenly and shakes the entire car. I was one of three people, and we all looked kind of shocked. I must have look completely scared*, because everyone asked me how I was.

Anyway, 5 minutes go by and two things haven’t happened - we are not moving and a giant fireball has not engulfed us. We press the alarm, and after many failed communications, we get through to security. Of course, I’m supposed to meet Greg and Gant at the L and my cell phone doesn’t work in the elevator. The nicest man ever lets me use his phone to call Greg. Besides being incredibly thankful, it just showed me how generous people can be.

Anyway, the strangest part of the event was when they asked for all the passengers names. A little odd, if you ask me. Five minutes later, we hear footsteps on the roof of the elevator and then we are moving. 20 minutes from when I got on the elevator initially, I am walking the streets of Chicago again.

I know, I’m like a modern day, female, Indiana Jones. The adventures never stop!**

I’ve been reading Michael Moore’s Page and it is incredibly insightful. I’m thinking I may put a temporary link on the side bar.

Ok, I’m off to do some work and call my mom. There is a lot of stuff going on in the next month- especially with my parents moving to Las Vegas and school starting a week from today.

*To top it off, I have a major fear of elevators. This is not the first time I have gotten stuck in an elevator.
**Unbelievable amount of sarcasm in these sentences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home