Friday, September 28, 2001

Jen

This is a blog written last night at 9:30 pm. Stupid computer at home doesn’t work. BOO!

What’s this? An evening blog from me?

This week has been unbelievably hectic. Actually, at this moment, I’m at my parent’s house, now my sister and brother-in-law’s house, dog sitting. I’m thinking about charging for my animal watching services.

So, I went through my first full week of Grad school. I have to admit, it’s hard to get into the swing of things again. I was scared shitless on Tuesday, excited to learn again on Wednesday and bogged down with work by Thursday. At least I got a free lunch out of it.

The History of Photography is an incredible class. Peter Hales, my professor, is known to fail people. He gives tons of work. He’s a tough grader, but he is an excellent lecturer. As I’m writing this, I’m reminded that I have to order two books on-line. I think I have like 80 chapters to read by next week.

Today I had my Graduate Seminar with Bob Thall. He was one of the professors who did my interview. Basically, I need a start of a project by next Thursday. This is kinda how it happened. So, people are volunteering to show work next week, and I’m basically trying to avoid all eye contact, which is hard, considering there is only 12 people in this seminar.

B.T.: Jen?
Me: Yes?
B.T.: Great! You’re volunteering!
Me: Oh, no! I thought you were asking me a question! I meant no!
B.T.: I know you had Doug.* I think you can have work by next week.

Ideas! I need ideas!!!!

Right now, my P’s are in Las Vegas closing on the new house. I got a funny call from them tonight.

Ted: Can you do your mom and I a favor?
Me: Uh, yeah sure.
Ted: Can you look through the photos that we took of the model home and see how many windows are in the family room?
Me: Why?
Ted: Because your mom thinks there are three and our house only has two.
Me: So you’re in front of the house? On mom’s cell phone?
Ted: Yeah.
Me: You want me to look at the photos when you are right there? Why don’t you drive over to the model home and count the windows.
Ted: Can you just look at the photos? I’ll call you back in a half hour.

I haven’t heard from them. I’m guessing they took my advice.

Ok, I’m going to go and pick up my Pat. We’re not fighting- at least not right now.

See you tomorrow.

*Doug, a colleague of Bob’s and also, a professor of mine at UIC. Doug believes in a lot of work in small amounts of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home