Monday, November 05, 2001

Jen

I wanna live life, always be true. I wanna live life, and be good to you. I wanna fly, and never come down. And I live my life, and have friends around.*

I know, picking a band for September almost seems silly, right? There was a lot going on in that month, as you know. It’s November now, and time to get on with life.

The story: When I was in 6th grade, I had this best friend Erin, who was basically my other half. We would share everything and do almost everything together. She had a crush on this guy who loved a certain band that I never heard of before. She bought the tapes and shirts and magazines, and I was forced to listen to them. Of course, I too got hooked. So, I have to thank this random guy, whose name I can’t even remember, for getting me to listen to Guns’n’Roses. Thinking about it now, I was foolishly obsessed with them. I, of course, owned everything. I drew this collage about all the album titles that I was going to send to the band for their "best of" record. My two goldfish were named Duff and Izzy. I was such a freak.** Anyway, you have to admit that Patience is such a great song. Or what about Sweet Child of Mine? I’m not talking about that Sheryl Crow cover that sucks, but Axl swooning over the word, “mine” at the end of the song. What about Don’t Cry? The point is, they were good, even if the thought of them now is so ridiculous. Ask Buddyhead.

Band of the Month for September: Guns’n’Roses

Now for October. Becky and I were talking, and this is pretty much what she said. “ I was listening to the radio and singing along with this song that was just released. I had to think of how I knew it, and it was because I owned the album.***” I’m thinking we both bought Parachutes around the same time- I bought it because Z, put Don’t Panic on my mix tape, and I was sold. It’s one of those albums that you never get tired of listening to. It’s extremely melodic and if you ask me, one of the best new English bands**** to have radio play. So in honor of the release of Trouble to the radio:

Band of the Month for October: Coldplay.

Buy it if you don’t own it. It’s worth every penny.

There you have it.

Here are the lucky bands so far that have had the pleasure to grace our list.***** These bands were chosen due to heavy rotation in our minds, hearts and CD players. Mind you, Band of the Month does not necessarily mean the band just put out a disc or they are playing a show. Also, a band may appear twice on the list, although it hasn’t happened yet.******

July: No Doubt
August: Hey Mercedes
September: Radiohead
October: Modest Mouse
November: The Dismemberment Plan
December: The Sea and Cake
January: Built to Spill
February: Hagfish
March: Death Cab for Cutie
April: Smoking Popes
May: Pat Benetar
June: Travis
July: Jimmy Eat World
August: Rufus Wainwright


*From Coldplay's, We Never Change.
**Not like much has changed.
***I made this a bit more vague than how she actually said it.
****Much better than Travis if you ask me.
*****You’ll notice how the list starts before we were this blog was started. That’s because this list was in my head first before it became a collective, which started in March.
******I have a feeling it will happen soon. October was a great month for releases. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home