Thursday, April 28, 2005

Jen

Sick. I just had an iced coffee and now my mouth feels like I have gross, stale coffee breath. Where are Altoids when I need them?

For the past couple of days, I have been strangely asked questions by one of the newer workers in the cafe by my work. She seems like a totally nice girl, but for some reason, her questions kind of put me off. Maybe it's because she doesn't really follow through with her part of the conversation. Example from two days ago:

Her: Is that your jeep out there?
Me: Yeah.
Her. What year is it?
Me: Hmmm, I think it's 2003.

She then goes back to work.

I kind of expected a response like "Oh, it's a nice car" or "I've always liked jeeps" or "Your sister's a whore." I don't know, just some kind of response.

Example 2 from today:

Her: Do you live on Pacific? (as in Pacific Avenue)
Me: Yeah, up in Venice.
Her: I saw your car parked on the street. You don't have parking?
Me: Parking's available for our place; I just don't want to pay for it.

She then goes back to work.

Am I wrong in thinking this is awkward? Am I supposed to ask her something back?

But I digress. . . For some reason, all this Billy Joel has brought back strange memories of when I used to be a bartender at this Sushi restaurant in Lincoln Park. Not all memories of that place are pleasant, but for the most part, the job itself was pretty decent. There was this one French waiter that used to complain about all the AC (adult contemporary) music we would play in the restaurant. All the other hip places had actual DJs. I remember him saying, "While other restaurants have DJ, we have BJ" as in Billy Joel, not that - please get your head out of the gutter. Anyway, he said it more than once and I always thought it was really funny.

I guess it's better to have Billy Joel on the brain as opposed to the whole month (I kid you not) that I couldn't stop thinking of "Bringing on the Heartbreak" by Def Leppard!

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hey Jen,

It's good to hear your San Francisco trip went well. It IS a fun town, isn't it?

About your visitor at work: There are some seemingly normal people out there who just don't know how to engage in a normal conversation. Whether this is just some sort of weird kink to a person's personality or an example of adult ADD, I don't know. I work with a couple guys, for example, that I've known for years...but who can't carry on a conversation for more than two back-and-forth exchanges. It's as if they lose interest and start thinking about something else. I've pretty much given up trying to keep the conversation going with these guys. It's a bit like, What's my time WORTH anyway? Well...the girl from next door seems as though she wants to make your aquaintance but doesn't have the social skills. That IS weird, isn't it?

4:02 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hmmm, both points are valid. so this girl wants to be my friend? and already knows where I live? Should I be scared or flattered?

2:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home