Monday, May 09, 2005

Jen

I just got a card from my friend Barb, the very same Barb I used to work with when this lovely little blog started. This is the same person with whom I would bitch about our crappy fax machine at the office, wonder where our assistant's day gifts were and look through countless pages of the Office Depot catalogue for a new coffee machine when ours broke. Due to office/cubicle life, you make little games for youself to make to day pass. We had this strange long jar that had no real purpose, so at first we used it as a penny jar and called it the Jamaica fund. When the pennies stopped collecting, we labeled it the empty pen jar. The jar was only there to collect empty pens; pens that we used so consistantly, that all the ink was drained from the pen. I remember that I would get pissed if anyone would take a pen that I was trying to use up from my desk. Then it became almost a race between us. Who would empty a pen first? When a pen would be empty, we had a mini celebration - you know, stop work for an ice cream break or a beer after work - and then ceremoniously put the pen in the jar. Anyway, along with the card I just got from sweet Barb, was an empty pen. I couldn't believe that she remembered that, and it helped to lighten the somber note of the card.

Yesterday, as a mini treat for myself, I got a pedicure and manicure for an amazing $20. What a steal! I've been trying to talk Matt into going with me, but he won't budge. Please tell me what is so unmanly about having soft feet and hands? Ok, maybe I answered my own question. It's just that manicures and pedicures are soooo nice. Who doesn't want to soak their feet it hot, bubbly water and then have them massaged?

This eve, I'm off to the Getty for an exhibition preview of the photographs ot Fredrick Sommer and Paul Strand. I've never been to an opening at The Getty, so I'm hoping it's exciting. I'm also hoping for free drinks too, but you never know with these events. I've been to exhibition previews at the MCA in Chicago and it was a cash bar!!! Hello cheapies! We have free drinks at the gallery and we don't even charge an entance fee. If I have time tomorrow, I'll blog about it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Good to hear from you! If you get a chance, definitely come out to the west side. Really, the only good thing about LA is the beach so make sure you enjoy it. I'm out in Venice, and it's a cute little bohemian area. The boardwalk is way cheesy, but there are some cute little shops if you look past the bong shops and tattoo parlors. Plus there is a lot of freak watching if you enjoy that sort of thing. Also, walk down Abbot Kinney - lot's of cool shops.

Enjoy your stay - too bad we couldn't run into each other!

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home