Sunday, May 15, 2005

Jen

Last night, as I was making a very legal, very consciencious right turn onto my street, the car that I turned in front of, not cutting off in anyway, began to honk like crazy. Here I was thinking something was up with my car, when she pulled next to me and yelled" That was stupid! You're stupid!" Apparently the 8 miles of road between us when I turned was not enough. And those are California drivers.

Later that eve, Matt, myself and upstairs peeps Mike and Zoobie, went to O'Brien's on Main Street to see friend's Ryan and Danny do a little acoustic set. O'Brien's is a cute little Irish pub like place - nice big booths, dark grren interior, punk or Flogging Molly on the jukebox and delicious chips (fries). Anyway, the buzz was that Pete Yorn was there to celebrate - this is where it gets fuzzy - his birthday or a friends. Now, for most people, Pete Yorn is pretty much a nobody. Let me rephrase that; he is not extremely well known. Now, let say if Bob Dylan walked in the bar, things might have been different. All people I happened to be with did not seem to know Mr.Yorn or his radio hits "Life on a Chain" or "Strange Condition" (there also might be another song off the new album but I have no idea what it is.) which is fine. Really, I think they are good pops songs; well written catchy tunes. I bought "Music for the Morning After" after I heard "Strange Condition". It's a decent album with some incredibly cheesy songs. Matt thinks it's a little too adult contemporary. Back to my story. The rumors were true, "The Yorn" was in the house. He watched Danny and Ryan play, and hung out at the back of the room with a couple of guy friends. Seemed like a pretty regular guy that just happened to have a couple of albums out. Good for him. So, can I add this to my "Celebrity Sightings List"? I mean, I do have the host from Streets Smarts on there, why not Pete Yorn?

1. Host from Street Smarts
2. Helen Hunt
3. Ron Eldard
4. Brittany spears
5. Paulie Shore
6. Pete Yorn

The Getty opening was really nice. I'm glad that we got there early so I could actually spend some time with the art. By the time we left, it was a madhouse; it was nearly impossible to get close to any photograph. I met a few artists, a few collectors and a few other people. The Frederick Somer cut pieces are incredible. I wish there were more. And as for Paul Strand, the Getty features all the famous photographs; even if you know nothing about photography, you have seen this at some point and time. Oh, and how could I forget? The Getty, the white palace at the top of a hill, is amazing itself. The view is killer and it's worth going just for that.

8 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hey Jen...I know who Pete Yorn is. Of course, I listen to that old-fart Chicago station, WXRT. (But I've seen him on TV too.)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I used to listen to XRT a lot back home too. That's where I heard "the Yorn." I can't think of a station like that out here, but I'm sure that they have to play his stuff out in this neck of the woods. Ok, so he isn't that unpopular, but really, is he a celebrity? PS. Matt didn't know who he was. : )

8:35 PM  
Blogger David said...

Well...Ralph Covert is a celebrity of sorts. He and the Bad Examples scored a minor hit with "Not Dead Yet" but, then again, I saw him twice at Borders hawking his wildly popular "Ralph's World" CDs for kids. So...what do you suppose MAKES a celebrity anyway?

12:12 AM  
Blogger becky said...

I was listening to a mix cd the other day and heard a song and for like 2 days after I heard it I could not think of who the singer was and in the middle of the night I woke up and thought "Pete Yorn! That's it! I wonder what ever happened to him?". And now I know! wierd....

9:16 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hmmm, if you look at my list of celebrity sightings, I see all the people (minus Miss.Spears) that you ask yourself " I wonder whatever happened to him/her?" Odd? Coincidence?

12:23 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

HA HA HA HA. I posted as Matt accidentally. The above post is really from me,

12:26 AM  
Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

Pete Yorn sat in the booth at Houstons a couple of months ago.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I have no idea where Houstons is. Is it a cool place? I'm rather new to the LA area.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home