Monday, August 13, 2001

Jen

Come on Davey, sing me something that I know.

And he did.

Now, I’m not the biggest fan of all new Promise Ring stuff, but I will admit that Very Emergency has its moments and happens to be a damn catchy album. This is good because songs from Very Emergency made up most of the night at the Empty Bottle on Saturday. That and $3 Coronas.

No matter how many times I have seen the Ring, their shows are still packed with energy and sincerity; every song makes you jump around and sing along.

I read this paragraph about them and it stated this, which I thought to be very true.

“The Promise Ring inspires fanatical devotion in its fans: live shows are like teen angst confessionals where boys and girls swarm the stage, shouting the lyrics, straining to be as sincere and charming as von Bohlen, and wishing that someone, somewhere would write a song as disarming and crush-worthy about them.”

I thought about this when I was leaving, maybe it’s because you look around after the show and you notice how everyone is eyeing everyone else, hoping that they were watching you rock out and much as they were. So, I’m standing by the merch table when this guy, who I noticed had been looking at me, approaches me to tell me his name, which is also Davey. I never know what to say in these situations, especially when I know Pat is waiting to meet up with me later. So, I introduce myself, but say that my friends and I are just on our way out. “Yeah, we’re leaving too, but I just wanted to tell you that I saw you by the stage and I think you’re cute.”

The best part was that I had Pat to go home to in the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home