Sunday, August 17, 2003

Mike

Goose Island Fest - Day 1:
When it comes to music fests, you don't find too many these days that are hosted by a steel mill. Before checking out the address of the show, I assumed that "A. Finkl & Sons" was the name of some trendy bar I had never been to but, sure enough, it turned out to be that weird industrial area I used to drive by every day on the way to my last job. When I actually got to the show, it wasn't clear exactly where the bands were playing, as you couldn't hear them from the main entrance. It was probably a good 1/4 mile walk before I saw any signs indicating that there was even a show at all. Eventually I found my way to a nice spot near the stage where Bob Mould was just about to start. His set, much to my disappointment, was a solo acoustic performance of mostly his more recent material. I've never been a big fan of the whole "guy with just his guitar" thing in a live setting, especially when it's a huge outdoor show with questionable acoustics. At this point in the show, most of the people were more concerned with getting drinks anyway. There were a few strong points in Mould's set (mostly the Husker Du nuggets he busted out a few times), but most if it just sounded muddy and repetitive. Even a few songs on electric guitar didn't really get the crowd going.
Rock-O-Meter Rating: 5.6

Up next were Guided By Voices, who lived up to my high expectations. Bob Pollard, 45 year old alcoholic frontman, knows how to get the crowd's attention. If you're looking for the finest jumps and high leg kicks that rock has to offer, look no further than this band. I was laughing my ass off at some of the stuff he was doing on stage. The band was incredibly tight on stage, which came as a bit of a surprise based on the amount of beer that they went through before the set was over. I think Bob Pollard was already on drink number three before the second song was over. The only low point of the set was when two guys with backbacks decided that it would be a great idea to stand about 1/10th of an inch in front of me, resting their backpacks on my chest. I was afraid that I would be left with permanent JanSport logo imprints on my body, but the two guys eventually moved to a different spot. Why do people think that backbacks are necessary at concerts, anyway? What are they storing in there? Life-saving medication? Fritos? A smaller backback? It will forever be a mystery to me.
Rock-O-Meter Rating: 8.1

After what felt like an eternity (but was probably closer to 25 minutes), Sonic Youth finally hit the stage. I wish I could say that it was a life-changing experience, but I was just too damn tired by this point to really enjoy myself. Most of the songs were culled from Murray Street, a fine album, but it would have been nice to hear more oldies from the Sister/Daydream Nation era. I know that played at least one Sister tune, but I don't think they actually played anything from Daydream Nation. Kim Gordon, dressed like a hooker you would find in the parking lot of a Ponderosa parking lot in Gary, Indiana, still rocks pretty hard for a woman in her early 50s. Thurston Moore still looks like Beck, and Steve Shelley is quite the drummer. Lee Renaldo didn't get enough chances to sing, but his one vocal performance of the night, on "Karen Revivited," was easily the highlight for me. I could have done without the multiple guitar/bass feedback freakouts that reared their heads throughout the night, but the actual songs were performed with a good deal of energy.
Rock-O-Meter Rating: 7.8

With that said (or typed out, as the case may be), I think I'm done with live music for a while. I've been in a show-going slump for a while, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I still love recorded music as much as I ever have, but the live experience just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Sure, the performances at Goose Island Fest were solid, but I didn't get that tingly feeling I used to get at shows, say, 5 or 6 years ago. I feel like I'm going to shows just so I don't miss out on some big event, but I always feel let down when it's all over. I think I need to bowl more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home