Friday, May 20, 2005

Jen

Whoo hoo! It looks like I will have my first (and most likely last) editing credit in our very hip book catalogue. It will be printed right under the graphic designer and a bunch of other more important names, but it will be printed! We are currently in the midst of putting out the website too, so once that is up and running, you can see all my hard work. I guess it's just another thing that I can add to my resume that is full of random crap anyway.

Why god oh why did these bands feel the need to put out a cover of "Under Pressure"? (I'm sorry, tsunami relief is NOT an answer.) It sounds almost exactly like the Queen/David Bowie version, so why, I ask, why make a cover if it sounds almost exactly like the original? Music gods, please answer me. I am so sick of shitty covers that are worse or exactly duplicates of the original. For Example, let's use Phil Collins.

"You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes. Phil manages to make it sound only slightly different because he is not a woman. For the most part, I didn't really like the original and certainly skip past when I listen to Phil's Greatest hits ( crap, I let that slip out.)

"Against all odds" - Phil Collins. Postal Service does a nice cover. It sounds different, adds a nice change and yes, I'm partial because I like Death Cab for Cutie. Shoot me.

Here are some other faves:
"Close to me" The Dismemberment Plan covering The Cure
"Always Something There to Remind Me" Braid covers Naked Eyes(?)
"Build me up Buttercup" - The Goops covers The Foundations
"Boys Don't Cry" Tuscadero covering The Cure
"True" - Duvall covers Spandau Ballet

I think I got all the bands right. I'm too lazy to look them up. And there's more songs I wanted to add, but it's getting late and I'm tired.

I've been having problems sleeping lately, so as I'm lying awake at night, I've been compiling lists of songs into specific categories that I have created. One that I have been working on the longest is songs with names in them. Of course, one of my first thoughts was Smoking Popes because they have an overwhelming amount of name songs. But, part of the rules that I have created is that I can only pick one name song from each band. Pretty difficult, eh? So, if we are talking Smoking Popes, to name a few, we have Rubella, Adena and Megan. Basically, I then broke it down to Adena and Megan, my more favorite songs and then chose Megan because it's just a great song. I've often wished my name was Megan because of it. Or Valerie. I used to and still love "Valerie Loves Me" by Material Issue. I mean, loove. The song isn't really that flattering to poor old Valerie who ends up all alone, but I wanted to have Jim Ellison yell "Jennifer Loves Me!" instead. Don't even get me started on "What Girls Want." I , unfortunately only have "Jenny (867-5309)" by Tommy Tutone (that's it, right?) as a claim to fame for my name, Apparently, my name is written on a wall and you should call me for a good time. Anyway, I've put together a CD that I'm going to send out to friends because I miss them. If you want one, let me know and I'll gladly send you a copy.

I'm off to bed.

5 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Ah...Jen.

Cover songs. A subject near and dear to my heart. When WXRT radio does their "not by the original artist" bit, I'm glued to the program. I like to group my cover tunes under: Better...Worse...Interesting.

Some "Better than Original".
-Mustang Sally by Buddy Guy (with help on guitar by Jeff Beck)
-Love Me Two Times by Aerosmith (great mouth-harp work)
-Hendrix doing All Along the Watchtower...of course
-Viva Las Vegas by ZZ Top (thanks for the birthday gift, Matt!)

"Worse than the Original"
-Last Kiss by Pearl Jam
-Lawyers, Guns and Money by Hank Williams Junior
-Ain't Nothin Like the Real Thing by Michael McDonald (does he really have to cover EVERY Mowtown song EVER made?)

"Interesting Versions"
-Should I Stay or Should I Go by Living Colour
-Purple Haze by The Cure
-Baby Blue by Aimee Mann
-Frank Sinatra's "My Way" by the Sex Pistols
-Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" by the Ramones
-Smoke on the Water by Pat Boone (from his CD "In a Metal Mood")

There are many more...but that should do it for now. Great subject, Jen!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I asked for music gods to answer me and it happened! Thanks for the great comment! I have forever been thinking about cover songs. Some of my most favorite songs happen to be covers, and I always wonder why I love them more than the original.

You mention some great covers- especially Hendrix All Along the Watchtower (actually, I believe U2 did some sort of cover as well that was really good too. Maybe on Rattle and Hum? Must look at record. The Edge is really very good at the guitar. . .) and you mentiion some horrible one's as well - I always HATED Last Kiss by Pearl Jam - it's like a full 3 1/2 minutes or pure toture. It's just hilarious that you mention Michael McDonald. I think his voice is just. . . funny. Hell, the fact that he was in a band called the Doobie Brothers is even more hilarious. I can't even begin to image that cover you mentioned. Now I just HAVE to hear it.

I was going to mention another great cover but I seriously forget as I was typing this damn thing. I'll make sure to post once I remember.

Wait!!! I remember! The band Built to Spill covers Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" in an amazing 20 minutes of song. It's honestly one of my favorite covers ever. I'll see what I can do to get a copy to you.

2:54 AM  
Blogger David said...

The crazy thing about Michael McDonald is that he's been singing in that unusual vocal style for years. You probably know he's sung back-up for Steely Dan, Christopher Cross, Kenny Loggins and numerous other artists. And he's released not one but TWO albums featuring covers of Mowtown classics. Incidentally, a black buddy of mine says that when "his people" first heard McDonald sing they were AMAZED to find out he was a white guy. Pretty funny, eh?

Also...I don't know if you've heard Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood" (subtitled "No More Mister Nice Guy")but if you haven't...well...it's really something. This 50's crooner of such saccharin hits as "Love Letters in the Sand" tries his hand covering metal classics in his own special style. Some highlights: Panama, Paradise City, The Wind Cries Mary and yes...even Stairway to Heaven. Some songs are like listening to a train wreck. Some of the renditions are really interesting. But it's like...you can't stop listening.

I WILL have to watch for U2 doing All Along the Watchtower. Edge DOES have a very distinctive guitar style. And covers of Neil Young songs are always fun. Not surprisingly, I found that Pearl Jam does a cover of Young's "Keep on Rockin in the Free World".

Hmmmm...now that I've found a fellow lover of covers, if I encounter any more I'll have to let you know.

Btw, I HAVE logged a couple more entries on my blog site. They're just copies of comments I've sent to the local paper...but it's a start.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

In light of Jen's recent celeb spotting (Pete Yorn, A.K.A. Pete Yawn) I'd like to add that I worked out with Jean Claude Van Damme the other day. Well, we didn't actually work out together per se, but we did share the same air conditioning while simultaneously working out. I wasn't sure that it was him at first, but when a huge body builder dude came up and very enthusiastically shook his hand, I knew I was not mistaken. He was riding the Lifecycle, and he brought his own towel...
Also, I'd like to add that All Along the Watchtower was also covered by the one only Dave Matthews Band, who have just released their smashing new album, "Stand Up" (in stores everywhere). I love you Dave!!!!!!!!!!

11:27 PM  
Blogger David said...

WOW Matt...you worked out with the Muscles from Brussels? He was riding a LifeCycle? I OWN a LifeCycle! (Of course, I ride my recumbent Scwhinn now because of my back...but STILL!) All Along the Watchtower was definitely one of Dylan's more haunting songs. Another great Hendrix cover, though: Crosstown Traffic as performed by Living Colour...EXCELLENT. Yeah, I like Dave Matthews Band too. He has a really original and unique sound. Too bad he got that bad wrap for his bus driver dumping raw sewage into the Chicago River. I doubt anyone would have noticed if he hadn't dumped it on a tour boat. What a MAROON!

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home