Thursday, March 11, 2004

Mike

We got so drunk that night/We got so drunk that night

I was already down in Champaign when the last Chicago Braid shows were going on, so I only made it to the last last show at the now-defunct Mabel's. I should really get my hands on that DVD when it comes out.

Speaking of DVDs, I recently rented the semi-new Superchunk and Ted Leo DVDs from Netflix. Both are worth checking out, although I don't know if either one has much replay value (which is why I rented them). The Superchunk DVD contains 10 (?) videos, 10 live performances, and a documentary about their fall 2001 tour. Most of it takes place in Japan and Scotland, although there is some footage of a Chicago show I attended. The funniest part of the whole thing for me was some brief karaoke footage from a place I actually go to occasionally, The Hidden Cove. Since it only covers a brief period in their lifespan, the Superchunk DVD doesn't really dive into the bandmember relationships or their evolution over time, but it is a fun watch. Rent it and laugh at Jon Wurster, the funniest drummer in rock. The Ted Leo DVD might be a little more interesting, even though it only covers one show at Coney Island (although there is some additional bonus material). The picture and sound quality are vastly superior, as are the interview portions. We don't get to hear much from the Pharmacists, although that's only because they don't seem like a talkative group. Ted has some interesting things to say, and puts on a rockin' performance (as always).

Fun Fact: Both DVDs feature appearances from David Cross.

Weekend plans? Due to my current state of unemployment, I'll start things off a little early by heading out to see Starsky & Hutch at the Biograph tonight. Tomorrow is my friend Jessica's birthday, so we're drinking at the Lincoln Tap Room. It's not a private party or anything, so feel free to stop on by if you're bored (you = anyone at all). It's on the corner of Lincoln and Wellington. The party continues on Saturday at Jessica's apartment, where brunch is being served. I don't know what I'm doing Saturday night, but I'll probably spend the early part of the evening studying for my upcoming midterm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home