Friday, June 17, 2005

Jen

I went to Ralph’s (it’s a grocery store. Speaking of that, who in their right mind would name a grocery store Ralph’s?) last night and bought four very random items:

1) Cat litter
2) Dental Floss
3) BBQ tongs
4) A Bundle of Wood

Have you ever walked into a grocery store to buy one thing, and as you are looking for that item, stumble across another item that you remember that you need for whatever reason? That is pretty much my trip. I actually went to get cat litter and wood (we just got a fire pit for our patio!!! I’m very excited to use it!) and then remembered I needed some floss and well, I ran across the tongs when I was looking for wood and remembered how hard it was to rotate those veggie skewers we made the other day and decided we need a pair.

But I digress.

It’s official. I have a stalker. No really, I’m serious. There is this guy who has been in the gallery at least five times since we put the new show up and it’s only been up a month. What usually happens is he walks in, pretends to look at the price list and then pretty much asks me the same question about the photographs: “Where are these taken?” I reply “Germany,” along with some other witty comment about the work.

Today, however, I recognized him instantly as the weird guy who has seen this exhibit way too many times. SO when he asks me the usual question, I just say “Germany” and go back to my work. He just stands there, at my desk, thinking of something to say. He remembers some random comment I made previously about the work and asks me about it. I respond, obviously. I can't be totally rude. He takes this as a positive sign and uses his built up courage to keep on talking to me.

Apparently, over the four other times he has been here, I have told him my nationalities, my birthplace and that I live in Venice?!?!? I know, am I stupid? Then I start to freak out because I can’t even remember talking to him long enough to say all these things. Luckily the phone rings and it is our warehouse manager, John, who I love, so I keep him on the phone long enough in hopes that the other guy will get the picture and go. But does he go?!?!? No! He hangs out to ask me if I know any foreign languages. My god! Anyway, my boss finally pops her head out and he takes off like a scared dog. Shheesh.

Am I overreacting? I guess if he were somewhat attractive, I'd probably take it as a compliment. But he's definitely in his late 30's and we all know I look like I'm 18, so this is weird, right? I’m at the gallery alone now and I’m freaked out! Anyone have any suggestions? Comments? Please let me know!

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Jen I bet Meagan has a perfect answer for this. Perhaps garbage perfume or something.

Wonder if you heard all the hoopla over this:
http://www.nydailynews.com/06-16-2005/news/local/story/319438p-273185c.html

2:20 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Bri- you are right, I should call Meagan.

HA Ha ha about Kerry.

"Just because as an artist you're free to do something doesn't mean it's any good,"

Well, you know I was never a huge fan of falling pics . . . I'm really surprized that it made such a huge deal when the project really has nothing to do with 9/11.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

jen, the first thing i thought of when i saw that shopping list was, "is she trying to catch, tie up, then roast a poor cat?"

does that make me a sicko?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Actually, I've grown a dislike for cat lately. My new thing is squirrel.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

That's hilarious, Michelle. I've seen those, and have always been slightly scared by them. What exactly is IN that can?

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home