Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Jen

Today while driving home from Target, I almost took the sharpest object I could find and jam it into my ear drums. Apparently, The Cars have reformed with a new singer. I heard the single "Not Tonight" on WXRT. Todd Rundgren's voice made me want to vomit. Tell me how there can be band without Rick Ocasek and Benjamin Orr? Tell me?!?!? Ken - I know you posted recently about a similar topic to this. Can this band really be The Cars without three (the drummer, David Robinson also backed out) extremely important members? Discuss.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I DID see the new Cars perform on one of the late-night talk shows. Pretty sad. Todd Rundgren was a decent performer on his own and helped produce a lot of good music, but his lame Rick Ocasek impression was...well...lame. Incidentally, I saw Rick Ocasek getting interviewed on MTV or VH1, I forget which. You may already know he's busy launching his own record label and helping new, original groups break into the biz. OK...here's where I make a weird comparison: Rick Ocasek reminds me a bit of Mike Nesmith. He never joined the other three Monkees for a Monkee reunion because...he grew, moved on, had a life. (Of course, Mike Nesmith was the only Monkee with any real musical talent.) Alright...strange analogies from an old dude who's been enjoying rock music for forty years.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Rick Ocasek produced one of my favorite Weezer albums and you can hear his influence on it. However, do I need to hear new Car songs that sound like better old Cars songs? NO!!!! I don't. I know you feel it too. Thanks for writing, you always have something interesting to say.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is pretty weak to 'reunite' not only without either lead singer nor anyone that people recognize. I thought Todd actually did a decent Ric Ocasek 'impression' but who wants an 'impression' when one of the original singers is still alive?

Todd's an amazing performer and also produced some top-notch albums: XTC's "Skylarking" and Psychedelic Furs' "Forever Now" but this project is not a great idea.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home