Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Jen

Well, it’s official. I have started my written thesis. After much thought and conversation, I am now writing about the search for personal identity through the photograph. I swear it’s going to be a page-turner.

Today I went to the gym and was completely distracted by this woman on a treadmill in front of me. She had this strange routine that repeated itself every five minutes or so. She would start by walking briskly, then jogging and then running. This is normal. What was odd is after five minutes she would jump onto the rails of the treadmill and yell out a very loud “whoo!” as she raised her hands in the air and rocked her hips from side to side. She looked insane. Every time she did it, I would look around the gym for other people’s responses, but it looked like no one cared. Only one time did a guy on a stationary bike in front of her turn around to give her an odd look, but that was it.

I walked down the Venice boardwalk on my way home from the gym, and a respectable looking man walking two very small but posh-looking dogs asked me if he could ask me a question. I could have responded, “ you already did” but not to be a smartass, replied ‘ok.” He then asked me if I had injured my back. I said, “No, am I walking funny?” He then said, “I am a psychic and I noticed a discolored aura coming from your lower back region.” So much for looking respectable.

Back to writing. If anyone knows of any good reads on identity, drop me a note.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I don't know that much about photography...and I don't have a specific comment about personal identity but I DO have a brain dropping or two about society in general.

Why are so-called "reality shows" so popular these days? Are people so bored with life that they REALLY want to observe Jessica Simpson eating tuna or a naked gay guy spear-fishing on a remote island? Or is some form of reality, however mundane, preferential to a scripted un-reality.

Has America's obsession with the constant synapse-popping of entertainment forms like music videos and video games inadvertantly caused the increase of ADD and the subsequent increase of prescription drugs we use to help us focus our attention and/or calm us down?

(OK...maybe I CAN relate this, however remotely, to your thesis.) Finally, how does the current obsession with "reality shows" and how does our lessening ability to focus and concentrate affect the way we perceive and appreciate art in all its forms.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home