Thursday, April 12, 2007

Jen

Every month, we get a new CD from Musak for the Gap soundtrack. I've often thought about how great that job would be: I'd get to work, find tons of new music in my mailbox, and then I would get to listen to music all day and make "mix tapes" for all of my customers. How great does that sound?!?!?

I've had some discussions with my coworkers on how we get some songs on our soundtrack - for instance, for the 4th month in a row, we have had "New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini on rotation. At first, I wasn't so bothered by it. As a matter of fact, it was better than a lot of songs on the soundtrack. However, with a four hour rotation and four months later, I want to take his new shoes and wack my head hard enough so I lose my hearing. I know a lot of music we get is because the rights for the song are purchased, and to make the most out of the sale, they have to reuse the songs a bunch of times. But how do they know it should go on a Gap soundtrack? My friend, Jeff, set up the scenario that Musak has a denim wall, much like the Gap, and a room full of monkeys. What ever song made the monkeys move towards the denim wall and fight over jeans got on the soundtrack. Hey, you never know.

I've decided to pay more attention to song choices over the next couple of months - it gives me a little something to do during long, slow shifts, plus, maybe I'll see some patterns or something. Or it could just explain my personal taste in music more.

Here are my top five favorite songs from the new soundtrack. *- denotes that it is new to the soundtrack. I'll post the video too, if I can.

1. "Wonderful Life" Gwen Stefani - I'm not a huge fan of her solo stuff, but I actually really like this song. Two months ago, we had "Wind it Up" on the soundtrack and I nearly murdered a customer. That song is ridiculous.
2. "We Used to be Friends" The Dandy Warhols* - I love the Dandy Warhols and this song is so much fun to work to.
3. "Ruby" - Kaiser Chiefs* I love the guitar in this song.

4. "The Crane Wife 3" - The Decemberists - we have also had "The Perfect Crime #2" in past months. Overall a great album, it really surprises me that The Decemberists were picked for the soundtrack. It's much different that the other music normally featured.

5. "Close to Me" - The Cure*

I'm trying to keep it to a five song minimum, but we also have "Message in a Bottle" by the ever so popular Police, as well as some other great songs.

Guilty Pleasure:
"Better Together" - Jack Johnson. I'm not a huge Jack Johnson fan at all. I have a cover that he did of "Badfish/Boss DJ" by Subilme that I really like, only because I love "Badfish." Actually, when I think of Jack Johnson, all I can think about is this Saturday Night Live Skit. It has some guy playing Jack Johnson in a commercial for his shoes, JJ Casuals -"shoes that look like feet." It's hilarious, and whenever I hear this song, I think of that fake commercial.

Speaking of the Gap, I close tonight. Here we go again. . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or do the Kaiser Chiefs sound a bit like a slightly-more-rockin Depeche Mode? Did you get my note about the Decemberists appearing live on WXRT tomorrow (Wednesday)?

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the Paolo Nutini. I heard that song for the first time last fall and i loved it. 1,000 listens later, not so much. Ugh.

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home